1. The most important thing I learned from workshopping is that things are rarely as clear for others as they are for you. While people could often recognize the central idea or theme of my work and a few of the more subtle details, they often recognized ideas that I had not intended. This brings up an interesting question- should people be allowed to develop now and different interpretations of your work, or should you provide clarity to keep them on the intended track?
2. I learned primarily that subtle nuances are often recognized by other people. Though they are quick to see patterns where none were intended, it wouldn't be smart to underestimate how good they are at seeing patterns that you did intend. People aren't stupid, you know. Keeping things clear isn't always necessary.
3. I must remember to see things from others perspectives. Poems, or books, make a lot of sense when they are explained and when they are analyzed, but when they are read for the first time they rarely convey the intended meaning. This is not always a bad thing, most works should be left somewhat open to interpretation and imagination. But it is important to remember the difference between what the author sees and what the reader sees.
No comments:
Post a Comment