Sunday, 21 September 2014

Forward to the Past and Why Waldo Should Be Detained

     I just got asked if I had to live in either the past or the future for one year, where and when would I go. About half my class is now happily typing away at a question which is theoretically impossible to answer.
     Because I have to, I'll get some complaining out of the way. What are the capabilities of time travel? Do I return to my normal life? Do I remember my past life? Can I see what the future will be like before I get there? I mean, jeez, our teachers ask us to be specific all the time, so why don't they have to be specific? Outrageous.
     Now, while many other students have chosen past or future, I must concede that it matters incredibly little where you go if you did not know what your past life war. Happiness, which is probably the main reason the majority of people would travel in time, is entirely relative. So if you could not remember your past life and ended up as a slave during the Persian War, you would probably see your possessions the same was as you see the possessions you currently have, and would be no happier. If you were a futuristic trillionaire, the story would be the same.
     If you did remember your past life, it would have to be a sudden decrease in the amount boredom, pointlessness, and lack of meaning, but this process is, again, relative. Human beings demand change. Being moved to a better and more enjoyable place could be fun for a few months, but when a year has passed change is demanded. Also, when that year is over, we'd see the same happiness in a reciprocal state. You can see this over the summer- children are commonly ecstatic at the start of summer, bored in the middle, and miserable at the end. You could invert the process to a delayed gratification state by going to a worse place than before.
     So it matters so little where I go! It matters nothing! We are greedy, get over it. We're horrible people. You can be happy at the start and sad at the end, or sad at the start and happy at the end. There is no change to you happiness, it all balances out. No matter what happens. No one cares.

     On the subject of Waldo's incredible ability to disappear, I bring to your attention the famous japanese anime, Death Note. In it, the main character is granted a piece of god-like power in the form of a death note, a small notebook which kills anyone who was their name written in it. The main character goes on the MURDER EVERY KNOWN CRIMINAL IN THE WORLD. While he believes he is doing something for mankind, he has been given absolute power and is soon corrupted. There are no checks and balances for him. He can kill anyone. Granting that much power to one person is incredibly stupid- he could control the world. Even worse, he thinks he is helping the world. Now Waldo here can disappear- a piece of god-like power. Soon, he could end up just as corrupt, robbing banks, selling drugs, hiding criminals for money, and he would be wildly successful. No one would be able to catch him. My opinion is that he should be detained before he is corrupted- he is little more than and actor in a children's book, and should not resist a surprise attack by a well-placed SEAL team. End Waldo before he becomes a threat.

No comments:

Post a Comment